Wednesday, June 22, 2005

the past 2 weeks...

This is my first update in a while... sorry about the delay. I've had a lot of important shit on my mind for the last few weeks, and updating the blog just hasn't been up on my list of priorities.

On June 7th, I woke up in time for work as usual, and, as usual, ate breakfast and checked my email before I left the house. What I would find in my inbox would be the thing which would take up a lot of my time for the next two weeks...

I had been accepted into UT Austin as a transfer student from SMU into their Electrical Engineering Department. I had turned in an application during a completely miserable first semester at SMU. At the time, I really didn't think anything of it, as I had heard that it was near impossible to get in as a transfer student (3.8 GPA, rolling admission etc.). So I turned in application with the intention of "learning the ropes" of the transfer process for sometime during my Sophmore year, when I knew my best shot of being accepted would be.

Anyways, for the Spring semester, I promised myself that I would abandon my dreams of tranfer and focus instead of trying to better my life at SMU while I was still stuck there. To say the least, it worked. A lot. I moved away from my fratboy roommate, started joining more clubs, meeting new people, and found myself a significant other. I had managed (finally) to establish myself at SMU.

So now that I had unexpectedly gottin into UT Austin, I had a huge and potentially life-altering decision to make. When I didn't get into UT The first time I applied, I promised my friends who did get in that I would transfer there as soon as possible. My previous reason of leaving because I was unhappy was now void, as I had a pretty good thing going for me. On the other hand, UT Austin is better academically, and would cost my parents a lot less than what they were paying now. I was sure I could pursue a successful career at either university, regardless of the fact that UT is some 20 spots higher in the rankings.

So, that's basically what i've been doing for the last few weeks. Debating, deciding, and changing my mind. I finally decided that I will be attending UT, my reasons for going being that ever since i've been a kid, I've wanted to attend there, and it would be too big of an opportunity to pass up. Also, my parents are about to put a third kid through college, and I know for a fact that they're really concerned about finances, so I want to help them out too.

So what exactly am I leaving behind? I have great friends there, it was an easier school, and I had an amazing girlfriend. Will I regret my decision sometime later? Maybe... To tell you the truth, I'm pretty durned scared of the whole thing. UT is a pretty intimidating school, and everything I'm leaving behind constantly makes me feel like I'm making a huge mistake... But I guess all I can really do is accept my choice, and try to make the most of the situation. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you made up your mind. Now all that is left for you to go to UT and fucking giver 'er!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hey, I found your blog through Dan's blog and was going over it. I think you'll love UT. I did my high school in Dubai, and going to UT was probably one of the best decisions I could have made.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey thanks man, I was really nervous about it, but now i'm really looking forward to going!

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home