Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I <3 work!

This summer, I have experienced the joys of intense manual labor at my old junior high school. So what exactly has come out of my work? A few new friends, a buttload of memories, and about 700 bucks in taxless income, that's what haha! But also, I've gained a newfound respect for the workers of ARAMCO and Saudi Arabia. The whole time i've been working (especially as a painter), i've been working beside all of the Indian, Bangladeshi, and Sri Lankan workers imported from their homecountries to serve as the "working class" of Saudi Arabia and ARAMCO. An enormous amount of respect has got to be paid to these guys, who have left their home, friends, and family purely to ensure a better life for their loved ones. I say "purely" because there is no other reason for why any man would voluntarily leave their home and subject themselves to such a low quality life here.

Each and every one of the workers here is underpaid and unappreciated for the amount of effort they put into their work. These guys actually work harder and longer than any of our educated, specialized parents. They wake up before 6AM, at the crack of dawn, and they are on the job until late in the evening (i've seen busses of workers heading home past 11 PM), all for something like 40 riyals (11 bucks) a day or something rediculous like that. Although it may seem like big money for them back home, it definately does not do justice to all the CRAP they have to take while earning it. With my sparkling salary of 6 dollars an hour, I find it sad that me, an eighteen year old student, was getting paid more solely because I was an expat, or because my dad worked for the company.

When I first started on the job, there was a good deal of tension between us student workers and the imported staff. I think it was rightfully so, because the majority of westernized kids these guys come across scoff whenever they see them, or pay no attention to them at all. But eventually, things began to lighten up, and, even though they didn't speak much English, by the time I quit, we were all greeting each other in the halls, and complimenting each others' painting jobs. It's something I will definately remember for the rest of my life.

So, this post goes out for my boys, the underappreciated, underrated working class of Saudi Arabia. Although they will probably never read this, I thought it was something worth sharing.


blah

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it disturbing how little respect these guys get from some people. Your right how they work tirelessly for next to nothing, and then take shit for it. That’s completely unfair if you ask me, but I guess that is the way the world works. But the economy in Saudi Arabia is built on a discriminatory school of thought so I guess it is really to be expected. Based on your nationality, and nothing more, does the oil company decide your salary and benefits. You’re a lucky one, being an American, the top of the food chain: highest salary, best benefits. It’s ridiculous, Americans get more repat (flight) money then their Canadian counterparts. Does it cost more to fly to the United States? No! In fact it is even cheaper to most destinations! But I guess I can’t really complain, at least I’m not French. If I was the oil company would not even pay to bring my brother, mom, and myself over here to live with my dad.

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home