Saturday, August 27, 2005

up my butt and around the corner

Since I've been out of touch with so many people for so long, I guess I owe you all one of those "my life" posts...

So a LOT has happened in the last few weeks. I got my driver's license, making me a fully mobile member of society! Whenever I get a car, its definately gonna help with the massive distances I'll have to traverse to get across this huge-ass campus. Speaking of UT, there are some striking comparisons that need to be made between SMU and UT. Now, i'm not going to lie. UT is maaaad ghetto. The dorms are nowhere near the quality of the ones at SMU, and they're pretty run down, but I guess that's to be expected at a public school. The advisors here are ghetto too. They offer little help at all, only suggesting classes they think you should take, and offering little advice on career tracks or what you should take to do well in school. I guess I should be happy with more freedom, but when I was at SMU, I was kinda comforted by the fact that someone was there to guide me along. Also, with such a large school, it's really easy to get swept up and lost in the beaurocracy of it all. I can't tell you how many times I've been screwed over here because I was new, and the bottom of the ladder. Anyways, as bad as I've made UT sound, I really like it here, and that's really what counts right?

UT is filled with tons of nice people, which is what I like. A lot. Unlike SMU, when you go out on the street, you're not overwhelmed by bitches with handbags and french manicures on cellphones. And unlike SMU, people here actually acknowledge your existence with a smile or whatever, regardless of whether they know you or not. Another thing I like about this place is that it's basically the liberal capital of Texas, the only blue blip on the map! I'm sorry, but SMU was just too freaking conservative for me. I guess this shouldn't have affected me as much, being a "moderate" and all, but trust me, it makes a big difference.

In other news, I met my roommate for the first time the other day. NAKED. Well, not fully naked, but almost. It was 11 PM, and he hadn't moved in yet, so I figured he wouldn't come until at least tomorrow. So I decided to take a shower and get to bed. Well, I was naked, when I heard a key turing in the door. I rush to my closet and put my bathroom on, and just as I do, my roommate, AND his family come into the room. Yeah, it was just a lil bit awkward.... but funny, I'll admit. Anyways, I'm still on summer break, and school starts on the 31st, so I still have some time to enjoy my freedom.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so easy to criticize where you came from when you're miles away, huh? I know SMU has its problems, but I seriously thought you met cooler people here than just the ones you describe. You're basically parroting SMU stereotypes, just like everyone else does...

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with monica on this one. I seriously thought you met cooler people. I guess you're moving on with your life, but that doesn't mean you should critisize the people left behind. It's not my fault that SMU attracts that sort of crowd, but you should know very well that people like you, me, and monica were/are there as well.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Uhh I wasnt targeting anyone specifically... you can't deny that there are a lot more of those pretentious people at SMU than at most schools. Which is just what I was pointing out.

Oh and if you guys want, next time I'm AT SMU, ill be glad to tell people just how much I dislike it.

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never been to either SMU or UT so I am probably not qualified to open my mouth, but that has never stopped me in the past so here I go: I whole heartedly agree with Chris. If there is one thing I hate more than anything else it is pretentious chicks. Believe me, this is not the first time I have heard him go off about the trick ass hoes and poser ass guys at SMU. He used to talk about it long before he got into UT, and it bugged him so much he was thinking of coming all the way up to Canada to go to school with me! If Chris wants to talk smack about SMU, let him do it. The place obviously pissed him off enough to make him leave so there has to more then some truth to it. I don’t know how often his whore of a roommate did something absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the bitches that didn’t say thanks when held the door for them. A word of advice for you Chris, unless you show up to SMU with a crew I would not tell anyone there how stuck up they are. They could, after all, hire some guy to kick your ass for them!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're both missing the point. We're not saying indecent people don't exist at SMU, they do. But there are also a lot of good people, and smart people, and you fail to acknowledge their presence here too. Obviously SMU's not for everyone, I'm not even sure I'm completely happy here, but that doesn't mean you have to bash it like there's nothing good here at all. Besides, UT has as much of a party school reputation as SMU, and you'll find just as many inconsiderate roommates at UT as you will here. You don't have a monopoly on good character.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well maybe so, but those werent the reasons for me writing. Sure, there are cool people there ok? But you guys said it yourselves, SMU attracts those types of people. The WHOLE point of what I was saying is to tell everyone WHY I left in the first place.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris and I missing the point? Not a chance; it is both of you that are missing the point. Of course Chris was not the only sane person at SMU, he has friends there. Like I said before, the place pissed him off enough to make him want to leave, so that is why he straight up left. I don't think it could be any simpler then that.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Yes! A fellow liberal!

Though I tend to find most people here at UT to be politically apathetic. Then again, this IS Texas....

Like it or not, UT grows on you. I've never been to SMU but I get what you mean, it's the same at some of the places back in Dubai.

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course chris left SMU, he has boyfriends at UT...wink wink...

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home