Monday, September 05, 2005

New Orleans, birthplace of Jazz, home of the Hornets, and land of Mardi Gras. With estimates upwards of 10000 people dead or missing, this is the worst natural disaster I can remember in my entire lifetime. This IS, our tsunami. I noticed something on the news the other day, which I thought rediculous. Some news network (I don't want to point fingers, so we'll just call it FOX NEWS for now) showed a slide of what it described as one of the many incidents of looting which have been reported across the city. The picture was of a black African American man, obviously left with nothing, walking out of a broken-into convenience store, with food and toiletries. Directly after, the network showed a slide of a white man in a similair situation, with one tiny difference. Instead of describing the scene as "looting", the caption under the picture read "left with nothing, man survives on abandoned goods."

Come on people! It's not "looting" or "borrowing" or even "stealing". It's survival. I bet that NOBODY, black, white, whatever, could tell me that if they had own their shit washed away in a hurricaine, they wouldn't be doing the exact same thing. Why everyone is so concerned about crap that, even if it WAS untouced, would probably never be seen again anyways, escapes me. Especially if some of this "crap" could be used to save lives. The government response was slow, and it was obvious aid wasn't on the way, so these people face a choice. Lay down and die, or bust into an already busted store, and have a glimmer of hope for survival. Hmmmmmm, now there's a friggin hard choice, and unless hurricane-ravaged house and/or drowned housepet is on your list of favorite things to eat, I'm pretty sure you'd break into the store too.

So how 'bout everybody take a chill pill, take a step back, and look at the bigger picture here. New Orleans is a mess. And a lot of the stuff not destroyed by the hurricane will probably end up being collateral damage by those not fortunate enough to have gotten out of the city in time. As unfortunate as it is, saving lives is just more important right now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Solid Silver Wallet Pen
This fine specimen could make a great gift for retro users. Designed to fit into the fold of most men's wallets, the Wallet Pen is handmade of solid sterling silver and features a standard mini ballpoint ...
Nice Blog Reading Here!

We run the##Cat Trees## website. It pretty much covers ##Cat Tree## related stuff.

Stop by when you get a chance ;)

12:07 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Spot on. I saw the same thing (which is why I don't watch cable news anymore) and it's a shame. Sure, looting the Best Buys for plasma TVs and what not is inexcusable, but there are just as many examples of what you described, if not more.

Shame really.

(And I really wouldn't be surprised if it WAS in fact Fox)

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sad...so sad...its sad sad situation...

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I guess I will play the Devil's advocate on this one. I didn’t have a problem with people going into stores to get food and medical supplies but at LOT of the looting that I saw on TV was people walking away with items that I would not deem essential for survival. Does anyone really need a new TV or DVD player in that situation? Didn’t think so. On the other hand I can’t blame those people either, they have been shit on their entire lives by the government and public institutions so I guess they felt it was time to take something back. If they were provided with proper health care, education, and many other essential public services for the past fifty years before the hurricane then I don’t think you would see half the problems. These comments are probably no longer valid as I haven’t read the news in over a week so just bear with me.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home