Sunday, November 13, 2005

Burnout

The last few weeks have been pure academic hell. Tests, programs, quizzes, presentations, enough to make even the most addictive of workaholics piss his pants.

After an experience like this, I have come to only one conclusion about UT. That it does not give a crap about its students. Being here, you feel like the school treats your more like a number than a young, growing mind, and that they only care about two things: taking your money, and improving their reputation. I mean, the EE department is the only department which doesn't have faculty advisors for each student, and they seem to be proud of the fact!

Then again, maybe its different for each department. The philosophy of the EE department seems to be to admit tons of aspiring EE students and later "weeding them out" (aka crushing their dreams, and therefore turning them from plain old nerds to nerds with suicidal tendencies)with insane workloads and fast paced, unnecessarily difficult classes. A friend of mine who's part of the brand new, sparkling biomedical engineering department speaks of lush lands filled with TAs who aren't worthless, real faculty advisors, and most importantly, ESTROGEN!

Anyways, I guess I'm just getting what I paid for. At SMU, for $20000 more, I actually felt like I was a student, being guided towards a career path. But the people more than made up for that. Here, its the exact opposite, but through the effing bureaucracy of it all, I still freaking love this place.

SIDE NOTE: I was too busy to write anything recently, but belated EID MUBARAK to everyone out there!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha, that's what you get for picking a "smart people" major at a big college...join the lazy ass comm. students :) There's an over-abundance of estrogen in PR, it'd be nice to see a few men in there...:P And you stood me up again this weekend, you bastard! :)

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was checking to see what others had commented and low and behold apparently I had yet to comment myself! I could have sworn I clicked publish...
I know the feeling about being just a face in the crowd. Today I got reamed out by my prof for asking my neighbor a question about 7-bit ASCII representation. While the prof said he could not hear me (I was whispering) the fact that I leaned over so he could see me talking "pissed [him] off." I guess he was having a bad day… The good thing is I only know a couple of other kids in the class and he doesn’t know me. So you know, anonymity also has its high points!
PS Advisors!?! We don't get those until 4th year!

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home